Our Values day on Wednesday saw each year group focus on a strand of our British Values.

Year 7 celebrated cultural diversity with a whole host of new and exciting experiences. Our guest for the day taught them some Bhangra moves and students had the opportunity to choreograph their own mini performances. All made their own chapattis and then had the opportunity to eat them along accompanied with some samples of a range of delicious curries. All took part in an around the world quiz before getting crafty with some amazingly beautiful shisha mirror work. The students learnt a lot from the day, look out for their pledges on our values tree in September.

2016-07-20 14.19.03 2016-07-20 10.19.02 2016-07-20 10.22.36 2016-07-20 10.22.49 HDR 2016-07-20 12.32.35-1 2016-07-20 14.13.00 2016-07-20 10.30.53

Year 8 took part in an enterprise challenge. The aim of the challenge was to design a new visitor attraction or ride for Alton Towers.  They were given a brief and a budget.  The teams had to focus on their customer, the design, marketing, budgetary constraints as well as designing a You Tube advertisement. They were then challenged to create a 5 minute presentation to deliver their pitch to a panel of judges and the rest of the year group. The winning group was Team Anaconda led by Callum McNeilly.

Year 9 consolidated this term’s work on democracy with some staged debates. The controversial topics included “social media is evil”, “Should the UK Police Force be armed?”, “Should the voting age be lowered?” and “Should the driving age be increased?” Students voted in a polling station to decide which house had made the best argument. Well done to Miss Rosborough’s form from Vulcan house who won both of their debates. We were delighted to be able to welcome Councillor Tilley on our judging panel for this event. As well as the debates, students took part in a student voice exercise, presenting ideas to Mr McArthur. The ideas will now be discussed in September at the next leadership meeting. Finally, to finish the day we had a ‘Rap off.’ A clear winner emerged from Spitfire house.

And last, but not least year 10 enjoyed a cultural trip to Liverpool, this included visits to the International Slavery Museum and Tate Liverpool.