During this school year I have led a weekly student voice meeting to discuss a range of school-based topics.  One of the topics that causes many of our students frustration is the, as they see it, iniquitous way some students and parents respond to our uniform policy on footwear.

With the help of our students, I have added the following clarification to our published uniform policy (additions in red):

• Plain black shoes or unbranded black canvas pumps only!
  • No trainers or trainer style shoes with non-black or black logos, stripes, marks or non-black soles should be worn in school – unbranded black canvas pumps only!

The best footwear for school is a pair plain black leather shoes.  In the event that your child prefers pumps, they should be plain with no visible logo. Students who attend school, in September, with footwear contravening this very simple policy, will be sent home to change.  In the event that parents can’t be contacted first, students will stay in the well-being hub for that day.  The students I have met with this year are all in agreement that this is the fairest approach for all students.

I am sure that all parents / carers will continue to support our uniform policy.  Please use the attached guide to help choose appropriate footwear over the summer.

As always, I am happy to speak to you if you need further clarification.

Ian McArthur

Headteacher