WHAT DO STUDENTS LEARN IN BTEC TECH AWARD IN SPORT IN KEY STAGE 4?
Students learn about the different types and provision of sport and activity, as well as about the components of fitness and their effect on performance. Students will take part in some practical sport, exploring the roles of officials. Finally, students will also learn about the principles of training and fitness testing
HOW WILL STUDENTS LEARN IN THIS COURSE?
Students learn through a variety of activities such as teacher led presentations, individual theory based tasks, group tasks, individual research tasks with use of ICT, quizzes, practical tasks such as linking components of fitness to sport and designing, participating in and leading mini sports sessions.
HOW ARE STUDENTS ASSESSED IN THIS COURSE?
This course is made up of 3 components and you can achieve a pass, merit or distinction in each.
• Component 1: Preparing participants to take part in sport and physical activity
• (Set-assignment under formal supervision – 30%)
• Component 2: Taking part and improving other participants sporting performance (Set-assignment under formal supervision – 30%)
• Component 3: Developing fitness to improve other participants performance in sport and physical activity (External written exam 40%)
The written exam is taken in year 11 in January / February time. It can also be taken again in the summer of year 11. The 2 set assignments will be completed in year 10 and year 11
WHAT IS THE LEARNING SEQUENCE?
WHAT QUALIFICATION IS GAINED FROM WHICH EXAM BOARD?
Pearson BTEC Tech award Level 1/2 in Sport
LINK TO EXAM BOARD SPECIFICATION
HOW IS IT GRADED?
Grades available are Level 1 Pass (1), L1 Merit (2) Level 1 Distinction (3), Level 2 Pass (4), Level 2 Merit (5.5), Level 2 Distinction (7) Level 2 Distinction* (8.5)
(GCSE grade equivalents in brackets)
WHAT FURTHER EDUCATION AND/OR CAREERS CAN THIS QUALIFICATION LEAD TO?
· Level 3 qualification in Btec sport
· The Leisure industry (sports centres)
• PE teacher
• Sports coach
• Personal training
• Outdoor Education
• Video analyst
• Sports psychology
• Sports journalism
• Sports data analyst